HARVEY Maps is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic and diligent individual to join its growing team in Doune, near Stirling, as an Administration & Retail Assistant.
It is an excellent opportunity if you are looking to expand your knowledge, improve your skills and be part of a creative and dedicated team working in the outdoors industry.
HARVEY Maps is the UK's leading independent publisher of maps for walking, hiking and outdoor recreation. Founded in 1977, HARVEY specialises in the creation of tough, light and waterproof maps and our products are trusted and enjoyed by a wide-reaching community from across the UK and beyond. In 2017, the company became employee owned, and its employees are encouraged to have a voice in how the company is run.
About the role
We're looking for an organised, proactive and dedicated individual to work within our busy and creative Support Team. Alongside fulfilling the varied day to day requirements of the business, you will be the first point of contact for all visitors and customers to the premises and you will be responsible for the upkeep of the onsite Map Shop and Map Bothy (display area).
The successful candidate will have good computing knowledge, good troubleshooting and problem-solving skills and be well mannered and friendly.
You will need to take pride in your work and perform well in a team. You will have a desire for collaborating, but importantly the capability to take on a challenge of your own with a proactive and can-do attitude.
The Office Administrator & Retail Assistant will be expected to deal with customers in person, on the phone or by email, and an interest in maps and the outdoors is preferred.
You will work closely with senior managers in the business on a variety of tasks and projects, keeping up to date with current trends and identifying opportunities for business development and growth. You will be expected to communicate your research and reports to all staff in the company as required.
You will assist in the administration, planning and organisation of all events attended by the company. This will involve liaising with a wide variety of stakeholders, both internal and external, to maximise the brand presence and ensure smooth operation for the attending staff. Running alongside this, the successful candidate will provide insight and feedback on all attended events and report to managers as required.
The role is full-time, 36.25 hours per week, Tuesday to Saturday, based in our offices in Doune, near Stirling, in central Scotland.
Salary: from £18,000 commensurate with experience.
Benefits: 29 days' annual leave inclusive of public holidays. Eligible for Employee Ownership Trust benefit and discretionary company bonus. Further information provided at interview.
How to apply
To apply - please send a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role and attach an up-to-date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications - 5pm on Friday 26th August 2022
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we may fill existing vacancies before the closing date, so you are advised to submit your application as early as possible.
- Ideally, you will have 2 years' experience of working in office administration or can demonstrate knowledge and experience in an alternative way
- Ideally, you will have experience of working in retail and customer facing situations
- A willingness to learn and to take on new challenges
- A team player who understands people and is emotionally intelligent
- Personal integrity - someone who is honest and ethical
- Enthusiastic with a positive, proactive attitude
- To be the first point of contact for all visitors and customers to the premises and Map Shop
- Answer phone calls and manage customer and client enquiries
- To take telephone orders from customers and liaise with the Sales and Dispatch teams to process accordingly
- To maintain an organized and clean front of house environment
- To provide direct administrative support to senior managers as required, including email correspondence, generation and distribution of memos, letters, spreadsheets, forms and client licence agreements
- To assist the Support Team Manager with business development opportunities and collaborations
- To ensure the databases of key contacts, customer lists, and product inventories are maintained and kept up to date
- Research and report on market trends and identify opportunities for product development and business growth
- To handle all aspects of running and maintaining the HARVEY Map Shop and Map Bothy (display area)
- Promote the Map Shop and Bothy and develop awareness of the brand and space
- To maintain adequate stock levels and report on shop performance
- Manage and maintain the shop point of sale system
- To provide and act upon customer feedback
- Plan and execute a schedule of engaging and creative shop window displays
- To assist in the planning and organisation of all events attended by the company
- To provide cover to the support teams as required, including Sales, Customer Service and Dispatch
- Evidence of numeracy and literacy skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Good problem-solving skills
- Pleasant helpful manner and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team essential
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Computer literacy and ability to use Word/Excel and Outlook
- Basic geographic knowledge and a knowledge of the outdoors industry
- Evidence of project work and project planning
- An ability to conduct research and produce concise and meaningful reports
- Agility with practical tasks
- An interest in maps and the outdoors