Harvey Map Services Ltd makes and publishes maps, principally for walking and cycling and mountain marathon type events. The maps are produced from original data, compiled by photogrammetry and edited to suit the particular purpose. HARVEY also provides data to other publishers, and carries out contract cartographic work.
HARVEY maps have gained a reputation for being clear, easy to read and fit for purpose. They are widely used by UK Mountain Rescue Teams, and have received British and international awards for cartographic design.
HARVEY maps are distributed UK wide and abroad and are available in book and outdoor shops and through the HARVEY webshop.
The company seeks a cartographer/cartographic technician to join the production team responsible for photogrammetry, editing, field survey, design and layout of published maps.
Hours: 40 hrs per week
Salary: Appropriate to qualifications and experience Duties and responsibilities
The job will include some, but not necessarily all, of the following:Cartography
Assembly and editing of digital plot files
Addition and layout of text and other items
Updating using aerial photography
Stereo plotting from aerial photography using a digital plotterGIS
Using GIS software (principally QGIS) the successful candidate will assist in the implementation and maintenance of the mapping database. This includes digitising, data editing, data capture, database administration and data queryField checking and research
Field survey on foot or mountain bike recording changes
Researching rights of wayDesign work
Design and layout of contract work for external customers
Design and layout of the Companys products & marketing materialIT and Website
Maintenance of a complex ecommerce sitePerson specification
This post is suited to a person who possesses a number of the following aptitudes, attitudes and motivations
- A strong interest in maps
- The ability to conduct field research; you would be expected to work full days outdoors and this will include all terrain hill walking and mountain biking in all weathers
- A methodical approach and an eye for detail
- Ability to organise your own work and keep to a time schedule
- Diligence, creativity, thoroughness
- Amenable to working in a team
- Interest in the environment
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the following:
- An understanding of the process of mapmaking
- Proven ability to work in Adobe Illustrator, preferably in a cartographic environment
- Proven familiarity with, and competent use of, GIS software
- Evidence of land navigation skills including observation, contour interpretation, use of compass e.g. as a hill walker or orienteer
Desirable would be:
Further relevant information
- Familiarity with some or all of the following programs: Avenza MAPublisher, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word & Excel, Adobe InDesign, QGIS, OCAD, Condes, Sellerdeck
- Familiarity with Mac and PC environments
- Experience of spatial database design
- Knowledge of and experience in photogrammetric plotting from aerial photography using a
- digital plotter
- Familiarity with GPS systems
- Experience of the publishing industry, preferably map publishing
- IT skills, knowledge, training
- Familiarity with html and css
- Design skills
- Interest/experience in teaching navigation
- A full current UK driving licence
This is a full time post based at the Company's offices in Doune, Perthshire. Field checking work will involve periods away from time to time. These vary in duration from 2 days to about two weeks, most commonly one week at a time.
All applicants must be currently eligible to work in the UK.
HARVEY is committed to being an equal opportunities employer.Application and interview details
Closing date for applications: 12 April 2017
Applications should be in writing, with a c.v. and references (and/or contacts for referees), giving details of interests, experience and expertise, current commitments and availability, to Susan Harvey at:
Harvey Map Services Ltd, 12-22 Main Street, Doune, Perthshire FK16 6BJ, Scotland, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection of the successful applicant will be by interview and tests at a mutually convenient date and time.
If you wish further information, please telephone Susan Harvey on 01786 841202 or email: email@example.com