HARVEY Maps is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic and creative individual to join its growing team in Doune, near Stirling, as a Marketing & Communications Officer. This is a key role within the business and the successful candidate will work at the heart of our operations to promote the brand and grow its audience.
HARVEY Maps is the UK's leading independent publisher of maps for walking, hiking and outdoor recreation. Founded in 1977, HARVEY specialises in the creation of tough, light and waterproof maps and our products are trusted and enjoyed by a wide-reaching community from across the UK and beyond. In 2017, the company became employee owned, and its employees are encouraged to have a voice in how the company is run.
Job Specification - about the role
We're looking for an organised, creative, marketing-savvy person to help us raise the profile of HARVEY Maps and grow its audience and community.
You will need to have good all-round experience in marketing and communications, be able to organise your time and work to deadlines, as well as good IT, digital and design skills.
The Marketing & Communications Officer will plan, deliver and report on the company's marketing and advertising strategy.
You will write, edit, co-ordinate, design and publish content across various channels (both digital and traditional), including the website, social media, and print and online marketing materials. You will also plan and implement communications and marketing campaigns.
You will need to have a positive and proactive attitude and enjoy communicating with people from across the outdoors industry and beyond.
Hours: the role is full-time, 36.25 hours per week. The role is based in our offices in Doune, near Stirling, in central Scotland.
Salary: commensurate with experience.
Benefits: 29 days' annual leave inclusive of public holidays. Eligible for Employee Ownership Trust benefit and discretionary company bonus. Further information provided at interview.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role and attach an up-to-date CV to
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Friday 27th May 2022
Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of planning and delivering marketing and communications activities, ideally but not necessarily, for the outdoors industry
- Experience of copywriting (writing for a purpose in marketing, sales, press releases, etc) and writing for the web/digital copywriting
- Experience of using social media channels professionally
- Experience of planning ahead and working to deadlines
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and social media analytics tools
- Experience of securing local media coverage and identifying news or advocacy stories
Qualifications and training
- Ideally, you will be trained in marketing and communications and be educated to degree level in a relevant subject
- Ideally, you will have 2 years' experience of working in marketing or can demonstrate knowledge and experience in an alternative way
Skills and Abilities
- Clear and appealing writing skills, and the ability to adapt tone of voice to different audiences
- Ability to design communication materials such as leaflets, adverts for magazines, social media content
- Ability to use a range of digital communications and marketing tools such as Mailchimp, and Google (admin and collaboration)
- Ability to plan and deliver marketing activities and campaigns to achieve results
- Ability to work strategically, aligning communications with organisational goals and strategies
- An analytical, results-focused approach, with the ability to test and adapt, and monitor marketing and advertising activities and campaigns
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently, and work alongside team members from all areas of the business to encourage them to get involved in communications (eg as content creators or champions/advocates)
- Excellent communication skills, verbally, face to face or written
- A willingness to learn and to take on new challenges
- A team player who understands people and is emotionally intelligent
- Personal integrity - someone who is honest and ethical
- Enthusiastic with a positive attitude
- An active participant in, and with a keen interest for, the outdoors
- Experience of working in the outdoors industry
- Familiarity with Windows and Mac computers
- Good knowledge of the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, in particular Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat and InDesign
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ensure that all communications and content is in keeping with the overall marketing strategy of the business
- Update and adapt the strategy so it remains live and relevant
Sales & marketing
- Work with the team to increase customers, audiences, community followers and, as a result, sales
Planning and project management
- Plan, arrange and organise communications content and campaigns, both for online and traditional marketing and sales channels
- Act as 'brand guardian' to ensure consistency of brand, messaging and tone of voice across all internal and external communications and media and ensure we powerfully tell the story of HARVEY Maps
- Update branding as necessary to ensure relevance and impact is sustained
- This could involve writing and editing, designing (posters, social media posts), multi-media editing (photos, videos, audio), creating artwork for events (such as banners, displays, gazebos, etc), and taking in-house product images for use on our e-commerce website
Collaboration & opportunity
- Actively seek out new avenues for collaboration to grow the HARVEY brand and to form excellent business relationships within the industry
- Seek out marketing opportunities to benefit the company
Monitoring and reporting
- Monitoring, analysing and reporting on communications and marketing effectiveness, adopting a 'test and learn' approach, using Google Analytics, Google Ads, Facebook Business Manager, and social media analytics tools
- Work alongside the webmaster to publish blogs, videos and other content on the HARVEY Maps website
- Create engaging posts (text and image/video) for social media and understand social media best practice (how to get best attention/engagement)
- Create e-newsletters (MailChimp) and understand email marketing best practice
- Attend end user events and trade shows and actively engage with the organisers, visitors, audience or other
- To undertake any other duties as required and be responsive to changing needs depending on the skills and abilities of our team